Monday 4 February 2013

More reader mail


Dear Concerned Citizens Blog,

I am one of those dreaded "outsiders" a person who has purchased a nice bit of property to use for recreational purposes for now, and possible develop to retire to at a later date. When I bought the property, I had in mind five, ten and fifteen year plans as I believe that is one is supposed to do when one spends money on a capital asset... Because I view this piece of property as an asset, I spend some time each week keeping up to date with the local doings and goings on as best I can from a distance. Actions of the Kearney Council trouble me in some regards, as I do not believe they have appropriate long term goals, and I do not think the have a broad enough view of how to best benefit all of the residents and property owners they are supposed to represent. 

I currently dwell in an amalgamated community with just over 11,000 residents. Amalgamation was unfortunate here, as it was in many places, because it resulted in an entity that is both rural and urban, and balancing the requirements of both sets of residents is difficult. It covers a large geographic area, with lots of roads which are costly to maintain, and has two decent sized towns within its boundaries with wells, water treatment and sewage plants and recreational infrastructure to maintain. There are also a few much smaller communities with their own meeting halls, ball diamonds, parks and such-like, whose residents wish equal treatment. Basically serving on council is a thankless task which few are willing to undertake. Despite all this, we have councillors and a Mayor and perhaps because of it, we still use the Ward system. Our previous Mayor was all about making himself out to be a hero, and a whole lot of a bully to boot, so some of what you are facing is familiar to me. Workplace harassment is not funny, and when the Mayor bullies township employees it creates an extremely toxic environment that benefits no one. The biggest problem with working and living in a small town is there are extremely limited opportunities for alternate employment, it is not like one can just tell the offender where to shove their job and walk away. 

One of the things that does interest me as a potential to improve the financial situation is a reduction in the number of serving councillors. With a return to wards at the same time, as I do not like to think anyone should feel they are not represented at council. Frankly, amalgamation sucked in this area, but over time we are finding ways to deal with it and make the best of the situation. We have four councillors and the Mayor, and the cost of that council can be found published in a local paper;

http://www.wellingtonadvertiser.com/index.cfm?page=detail&itmno=11543

Jeff Johnston mentions the size of Kearney, but with respect to Mr. Johnston, I would like to point out that Wellington North is just over 526 square kilometres.

I work for the Recreation department, and although I do not like the reduced budgets we have faced the past couple of years, I do understand the something must be done to rectify the mess left by the previous council. The biggest challenge is not to cut things to the point that people no longer wish to be a part of the community because when property values fall.... Recreation is seen as revenue negative, but it is what makes a place desirable to live or visit. In turn, that keeps property values up, and obviously as a result, tax revenues healthy. Kearney is blessed with the most astounding natural beauty, in MHO. Its geography is its biggest asset, people WANT to be in such an environment. Killing the regatta is a dumb idea! Enacting by-laws that are only friendly to seasonal residents with piles of money to burn does not serve the community. For a community to be vibrant, it has to also be inclusive. I did not chose to buy property in Kearney because I wanted to be part of a "gated community north" as it were. Surely one can protect the natural heritage without killing any chance of economic activity within the town limits? (Except of course if those economic activities benefit friends of councillors, *rolls eyes* Then the rules don't quite apply do they? Much sarcasm intended.) 

I wish I had the resources to build and move north now, without needing an additional income to pay my bills. I would volunteer to maintain your ice rink and pavilion, just because I think these things are important. As are trails, public access docks, and a whole host of related things that people can enjoy in their spare time. We live in such a beautiful and rich part of the world it is a sin not to take advantage of it! It also behooves us to look after it properly so our children and grand children can also benefit from it. Sadly, I do not think the current council sees the big picture, or the potential for the future of the community of Kearney, so my personal long term plan may have to be revised when I get to the five year mark.  

It is with some regret that I ask you to withhold my name, however past experience with vindictive idiots in the council chambers tempers my desire to be publicly identified. Obviously if one looked at the mailing addresses in the tax rolls, one could figure it out, but make 'em work for it, *LOL* 

Thank you,

[Name Withheld]

No comments:

Post a Comment