Sunday 19 August 2012

A Concerned Visitor Writes Us

We received this letter from a visitor to Kearney:

What a scary town you folks live in.

Recently I was fortunate enough to early retire and as such my wife and I have been driving around the Muskoka, Huntsville and lake of Bays area in search of a small town in which to put down new roots. Flipping through real estate listing we were surprised at the seemingly good prices in the town of Kearny, compared to the above mentioned, and decided to make a day of it.

We arrived early as we’re are both big on exploring and meeting people and were immediately struck by the towns old time charm and northern beauty. After strolling along Main Street and meeting a number of lovely people my wife asked an older gentlemen, who we were chatting up, about the towns politics. There was no reply and the fellow just seemed to stare at us as if we had crossed some form of hidden line, so after an awkward silence we thanked him for his time and continued on.

Next stop the beach where we found children playing in the water as mothers watched on under blue skies. This time my wife started chatting up a young mother, being a retired teacher she was enquiring about volunteering at the local school, and after a lull in the conversation I ventured to again question about local town politics. The look on the woman’s face was telling as she became immediately guarded and asked.
“Where did you folks say you were from again?”
A little surprised my wife asked.
“Does it matter?” To which the young women replied.
“Are you friends of the Mayor?”
At this point my spider senses started tingling as I exchanged glances with my wife and said.
“I think it’s time to go honey.” As we stood to leave the women looked up at us and said maybe try the Kearney blog and then returned her gaze to her children.
It’s funny how the smallest interactions can alter ones perception and the Town of Kearney now somehow looked a little different.

We arrived home late that night and my curiosity had the better of me so I googled the town of Kearny and checked the town's website ... nothing revealing there...
Then I googled Kearney Blog.

Oh my God!!!

It took me hours to read through the various pages posted here and I’m shocked. No wonder nobody would talk politics your town is down right scary, which also might explain the depressed real estate prices. You people need help and you need it now as the Mayor looks like a character out of the movie Deliverance and seems to have the personality to match. But in all seriousness I can’t imagine why the Johnston's have not moved on a long time ago as I suspect they are genuinely in harms way!!
I’m sorry but given all I have read here, coupled with the total lack of response by the Mayor of your town, I couldn’t possibly imagine living in Kearney although the citizens have my deepest sympathy.

Off to Baysville.

Anonymous


Are you surprised?

No comments:

Post a Comment